QUAD

Ok, I've just finished a marathon listening of the new remixed Quadrophenia
CD (Was I alone in thinking that it wasn't due to be released until later
in the month?) and have some comments.

First, while I have some quibbles with the new mix, overall the changes
are, I think (that is, in MY opinion only), good.  All of the instruments
on the new CD sound MUCH better, and Keith's drums are actually improved
from the original mix. There is also more of Keith screaming in the
background, scattered throughout much of the album.

However, the new mix is not as fun to listen to on headphones. True, all
the songs sound "better", but the increased clarity takes away from the
interesting separation effects.  I'm not complaining.  Just about in every
song you hear more instruments; mostly Pete's guitars have been pushed up
in the mix, and John's bass twangs much more often.  Some of the editing is
not as smooth as in the original mix.  Some transistions are more abrupt
(In "I've Had Enough" the transition from the "My Jacket's Gonna" to the
"Love, Reign O'er Me" parts is clunky compared to the original.).  Roger
comes off much better in the new mix.

Ok, some more specific comments:

"The Real Me"- The one track I don't like.  True, the bass and drums are
opened up and kick butt, but overall the track is noisier and, well,
irritating. The echo on Daltry is still there, but his voice is more in
front.  Compared to the soundtrack remix (which I consider preferable), I
don't like it.  And about the flat spots that WF spoke of-- most noticeable
on this track and as far I could tell it only occurs during the chorus.
This leads me to believe that it is an intentional idiosyncrasy of the new
mix.  It IS irritating, but it never bothered me (as much) after this song.

"Cut My Hair"-the original mix featured a doubling of Townshend's voice
that is eliminated here.  This is true for most of the remix, and while
Roger generally benefits from such treatment, I don't think Pete does.
Also, you no longer hear Pete say "go on" or whatever.

"I'm One"-Again, I think I prefer the soundtrack remix of this one, but
this is better than the original.  Pete still has an echo, but he is much
more up front.

"The Dirty Jobs"-Roger's voice was doubled in the original but is singled
out here, and I really like it this way.  It's MUCH more affecting,
especially the "It's you who takes the blame" part.  The last verse,
however, has a noticeably flatter vocal sound, for what reason I can't
fathom.  Also, I hear a pop during this track at 4:06.  Anyone else hear
it?  I also never really noticed the piano before, though listening again
to the original I suppose it was always there.

"I've Had Enough"-the synth on the "Love, Reign O'er Me" parts is much more
prominent, as is Roger during those parts.  The banjo and tom-toms during
the choruses are placed differently and is actually more interesting on
headphones (a rare occurance). The scream at the end is handled differently
as well.

"Sea and Sand"-Again, Roger was bathed in echo in the original, but here is
singled and as a result his inflections are easier to hear.  This makes for
a more emotional reading than I was used to.  Pete is pushed up much more
during the "I'm a Face" part.

"Drowned"-Thankfully, they've removed the gargling effect from Roger's
voice. I always hated that.  During the first jamming section (between "I
am not the actor" and the last verse) the piano has been buried in the mix
and Pete's guitars brought out.  I like!  After Roger sings "In cold
Water!" there is an additional vocal flourish from him that is not present
in the original version. I kind of wish we could have had an extended
version of this song, with more jamming at the end.  Oh well.  I don't miss
the piano.

"Dr. Jimmy"-is not as effective overall as the majority of the remixes.  It
sounds kind of flat.

"The Rock"-There's a funky phasing effect during the transition from "Dr.
Jimmy" leading into this track that is pretty cool.  Thundering drums!

"Love, Reign O'er Me"-The guitar is more prominent in the mix, the synths
waver from being more prominent and less prominant. The drums are also more
spacious. I'm not sure about this one.

As I said, I like it, save for "The Real Me" (which is due my fondness for
the soundtrack remix--the new version is truer to the original.)  Is it the
remix I dreamed of? Well, no.  But after a full listen exactly ONCE (I too
may later change my mind), I do think it is better.

"If you ask me to explain it, I'll start to whimper."

From: Litgo@aol.com