Re: Scalpers

At 23:46 7/2/96, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:
>From: rjh-esq@ix.netcom.com (Robert J. Hundertmark)
>Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 18:45:30 -0700
>Subject: Scalpers
>
>I couldn't disagree more strongly.  What happens often times, is the
>promoter, the hall, and other non-artist types get, as part of their
>compensation, maybe a 1,000 tickets per night.  The best seats.
>Factored into their compensation at cost.  then, they wholesale them
>out at say $20.00 over face and make a quick $20,000.00 a night.

I wonder whether you know this, or have just heard it somewhere.  For one
thing, selling tickets at more than face value _is_ illegal in may cities,
making it unlikely that the people you mention would be able to sell mass
quantities at more than face value.

But this is not the heart of the matter.  The crux is that the scenario you
describe, as well as the scalping business in general, is fueled by the
fact that AUDIENCE MEMBERS ARE WILLING TO PAY MORE THAN FACE.  Sometimes
_way_ more than face.  I see no reason to lambaste the sellers as scum if
you don't also call the buyers scum.

>  Don't give me this @#$%$# about scalpers providing a public
>service.  They have totally undermined the distribution of
>entertainment tickets in America.  and it makes me sick.

I assume that you therefore refuse to pay more than face for a ticket.

For very popular shows, the initial ticket sale is nothing more than a
semi-random lottery during which you have a chance to get tickets at
SUB-market prices.  There is more disposable income in America every year,
and ticket prices for concerts have not increased proportionally with the
increased available entertainment dollars.  Personally, I'd rather see the
bands and promoters price the tickets at the market so that the people who
make and publicize the music could get the money, but with very few
exceptions they seem to lack the nerve to do so.  The public seems to
prefer the fantasy that they do not live in a world where front-row tickets
_will_ routinely sell for $100 or more.

Finally, perhaps it's escaped your attention that _many_ tickets have been
offered at face on this list; it's only perhaps 50 or so of the very best
seats out of 14,000 that are advertised at higher values.

You may not like the market but it's the hallmark of freedom.  Anyone care
to join me in A Quick One?  <cue music> "God bless America..."

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend

From: "." <microdot@algonet.se>