Re: New Quad Sound Quality

Randy, re:

<< After reading Fang's comments about the sound quality, I sat down to do a
 critical listen since my first reaction last night was WOW!  As to the flat
 spots mentioned earlier by Fang, I just can't hear it.  This leads me to
 ponder a few possibilities:

 1. Fang has better ears.
 2. Fang has wax in his ears.
 3. Fang has a better system.
 4. Fang has a defective system.
 5. MCA (Musical Cemetary of America) screwed up on some copies.
 6. The Angels will never win the pennant (sorry, watching the Angel game,
and
 as usual they are losing).

 I think that if you are having sound problems it is worth investigating
 number 5.  I have pretty good ears and a pretty good system, and also know
 that Fang is discriminating.  So that leaves MCA, the company who used to
 press records that sounded like sandpaper with a little music thrown in for
 good measure. >>

Rest assured that I use only the best equipment... :) To be fair in my
evaluation, while going out to eat Monday night, I cranked it in the car for
my wife to hear, unbiased (she's not all that familiar with the
material---but will be after MSG :) ) I'll also add that she has better ears
than I do and is a musician. Unfortunately, she heard the same <Picard> that
I did. She picked up on it right away...

The real problem with the disc is that the sound varies inconsistently. If
the whole thing were flat, you could adjust your tone controls (if your
system has them). However, the fact that it varies within a given song is a
real problem...

Oh, and at various points of time, I do have "wax in my ears". I was
considering making some available for sale to the collectors of the list, but
for those who really know me, I never do or say anything that may have "bad
taste" associated with it... :)

- -wf