RE: Monterey Festival

-- [ From: Thomas G. Farrell Jr. * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

NP:  Ray Davies, "80 Days"

Shane,

RE:  Your comments about the Monterey Pop Festival.

	To buttress your comments, I saw a documentary on TV - HISTORY OF R&R,
by Time Warner, I believe - and it had an extensive segment about the
Monterey Pop Festival.
	They had an interview with Townshend, and he said "the thing he feared
most" was FOLLOWING Hendrix because Townshend figured it would be a
hard act to follow.  He was pleased that they got to go on first.
	The documentary's interview also has Townshend commenting on Mama Cass
asking him, "He's stealing your act."  to which Townshend replied,
"He's DOING my act."
	The Monterey segment, it seems to me, was slanted toward Hendrix, with
Eric Burton summing up the Townshend's and Hendrix's differing ways of
smashing guitars:  "The Who's stage smashing was like a violent rape;
Hendrix's was like an erotic sacrifice."  No doubt, Eric was intrigued
by Hendrix's humping of the amplifier cabinet.....
	Btw, the documentary, in the segment preceding the Monterey segment,
told the story about Hendrix in London.  It seems that Monterey was his
first major US appearance.  It had Townshend telling about how,
watching Hendrix live, he and Clapton, "felt small" because Hendrix's
guitar playing, and accompanying sound, were so *big*...concluding that
watching Hendrix play guitar live was like an "epiphany."  And that
from a man (Townshend) who definitely played guitar *big* and to great
effect in concert.  But as ML says, Townshend was definitely a Hendrix
fan (and Hendrix did snatch a few tricks from Pete).

	If my recollections of that documentary are erroneous, please feel
free to correct me.  It's been several weeks since I've seen it, and
the above is taken strictly from memory.

	Every good wish--Tom Farrell