Re: Pete with the Dead

>Re: Oakland '76.

>>I don't have, but have seen on video, Townshend when he joined The Dead on
>>stage for a Blues number (I don't recall which). Pete played with them for
>>few minutes, trying to find the groove, and then faded off of the stage.
>>There was no connection at all. It was funny, in a way, and yet sad. Up to
>>that point, I would have said that Pete could have played with almost
anyone.

>  >             Cheers                     ML

>The Who and the Dead also shared the bill at Essen, Germany in 1981, and
>Pete played with them.

The deal on Pete playing with the Dead is this.  As far as I know, there was
no cross jamming during the Oakland Day on the Green shows (1976- both the
Who's tape and the Dead's tape reflect this)  In the Dead's second set at
Essen Germany 1981, the Dead began jamming into Not Fade Away out of Drums,
Pete joined them at the beginning of this playing one of Bob Weir's guitars.
 After a few minutes IMHO they hooked up quite well -considering at that time
God knows what PT and the Dead had just pumped into themselves.  Towards the
end of the song, where the Dead usually loosen and space up the groove in
order to make an easier segue into something else, PT absolutely wouldn't let
up on the rhythm.  Classic PT!  After a very interesting few minutes, the
Dead go into Wharf Rat -an incredibly emotional song with many different
feels, different changes, and so on.  Bob calls out the chord changes to
Townshend.  One of my favorite Dead songs, it was amazing the first time I
head it with PT also on guitar- his playing is very tasteful and very
audible.  In fact some of the improv'd lines he played I sing in my head
every time I hear the song.  After an incredible Wharf Rat the Band segues
into Around and Around.  This is great too.  A and A segues into Good Lovin'
where PT decides to split.
A different take on a previously mentioned topic.
If you have the opportunity to check it out, do so.
Later,
Chad.