Re: Pete's guitar playing in 79 & 82

>Bargain, My Wife, Baby Don't You Do It, and Going Down all came from the SF
>show. Buy the boot and you can hear them over again in <Picard> like quality!

I have the boot, and it doesn't have Going Down or Baby, Don't You Do It. It
IS of poor quality, however.

>Let's put this in a
>logistical perspective, WHO is going to do this? Who is capable of doing
>this? That's part of the problem. You need to be a "Who expert" in order to
>know, a) which is which, b) what's been released previously. Look, I'd be
willing to do the job right as a volunteer. However, I
>can guarantee it would be very time consuming and thus a very slow process.
>So, when you think about "those" people "over there", remember that they're
>just human beings too. Pete Townshend doesn't even remember what song version
>is what and while these people who are involved are "fans", they aren't as
>"intense" at it as we are. Therefore, they may make mistakes. And of course,
>there's the factor that "the longer you stare at something the blinder you
>become".

I think, with the amount of knowledge that's out here (considerable, to say
the least) and the willingness of all of us to work toward a great Who
archive (I feel safe in saying that) as volunteers, the possibility of a
complete and definitive Who History could easily become a reality. But the
doors have to be opened wide. Charlesworth and company should be on this
Digest. Looking at the situation, they SHOULD be here as part of the task
they've set themselves to (as well as the other online services). If they
admit that they aren't knowledgable enough to do a thorough job, they should
seek the information elsewhere.
Sure, we're all human but the idea of a job is to do your absolute best. For
a job such as this, you must have the kind of mind that can place the large
amount of music and versions in perspective and go about the task in a
logical fashion. I would just go through the tapes, making notes as I went
and using my computer to compile. A notation on the most notable and
exciting performances, both as a show and as a single song. However time
consuming it may be, that's part of any job.
Actually, this sort of organized work comes easy to me. It doesn't to everyone.

>>>a Jam CD of rarities including Disguises and So Sad About Us.
>
>What's the name of the CD? I like their version of "Disguises", but I don't
>recall hearing their version of "So Sad About Us", although for all I know, I
>have it someplace...

It's called EXTRAS, and was released in `92. I'd never seen it, because of
the quality of the "record" stores around here. The place I found it was in
Charleston, called Manifest. A great store, with lots I left behind.
You do have both Who songs by The Jam...I know because I sent them to you.

                     Cheers                      ML