Re: Drummers

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, MISS AMIRA E BOCTOR wrote:

> I think John Sutter is right.  There isn't another human being in
> this world who can drum like Keith Moon, so the only way to continue
> the band would have been to hire two to replace him.  BTW, that would
> have made a great blurb, John, if you'd sent in for that Entwistle
> book.

It would?

Anyway, I'm sick of this replace Keith Moon stuff.  Musicians are not
sportsmen, you can't trade Daltrey for Paul Rodgers, Simon Kirke, and a
session drummer to be named later, and then pull Mark Brzezicki out from
AAA and go on with three drummers (if you count the DTBNL).

I can't think of a single successful replacement in a rock band which
took a good band and made it as good or better.  A few times, a
replacement would make a different band, still good, but in some other
way.  Still, even that is an exception, not the prevailing result.  The
best decision Led Zeppelin ever made was to stop after Bonham died.  A
band is a unit, and should be considered a unit, otherwise it makes no
sense to call it the Who and not the Daltrey-Entwistle-Townshend-Moon
group (or the
Daltrey-Entwistle-Townshend-Phillips-Bundrick-Watkiss-Nicholls-Chyna-Linscott-
-the other six musicians whose names I don't feel like looking up--please
don't post them; if I want them, I'll open up the liner notes-group).

LP.