Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 45

-- [ From: Thomas G. Farrell Jr. * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

NP:  Jethro Tull, "Song for Jefferey" BBC Top Gear 1968

Ian,
	I must agree whole-heartedly with you about discussing other bands on
this list.  The Who is but part of a larger genre, and even at that,
it's a loosely defined genre, influenced by many different types of
music.  For example, you mentioned having a collection of classical
music.  Interestingly, if memory serves, Townshend said that the chords
in "Pinball Wizard" were variations from a piece by Purcell, an English
Baroque composor.  Also, Townshend has variations of Vivaldi's work on
PSYCHO.  And I haven't even mentioned "Hall of the Mountain King"....
oops, I just did.
	In short (and this is my point), it would be intellectually
restrictive, and thus antithetical to the intent of this Digest, *not*
to discuss classical music or other genres of music (e.g., blues, jazz,
etc) because of their connections to the Who and rock music in general.
	Personally, I LOVE classical music, and I'm glad Emerson Lake and
Palemer did "Pictures at an Exhibition."  Without it, I'd never have
known about Moussorgsky, or his other works, like "Dawn on the Moscow
River," not would I have the urge to explore the other Russian
composers.  Btw, do you have info on the Belizian mono vinyl version of
Shostakovich's Fifth Symphony?  I'm really hot to buy it....  ;-)
	Every good wish--Tom Farrell