Who influence on Metal

I don't necessarily agree that the Who invented metal with LAL.  After
all, Sabbath was already cutting albums.  However, I do think the Who had
a strong influence on metal.  I recently saw an interview where Ritchie
Blackmore of Deep Purple said PT was a big influence on him.  Also, there
are definitely riffs on the MG track of LAL that are comparable to Sabbath
music.  While I was listening to LAL last night, my roommate, a big metal
fan, found 3 riffs just on MG that sounded like Cliff Burton music.
Clearly, you can see  JAE influence on Burton, and therefore Metallica,
which certainly is a key band in metal history.

cober