Power chords

If I may, I`d like to comment on my own, last post by throwing out two other
ideas. First, could PT have been influenced by Spanish or flamenco guitar
playing and transferred its techniques of multiple strums and suspended
chords to electric guitar playing? If so, this could suggest some non-blues
influence unless that tradition can be linked ultimately to Africa too (I
don`t know). Second, as PT was refining his (never equalled) athletic stage
act in the late 60`s and early 70`s, did this not shape to some degree his
power chord style? Eg. his thrilling crouched leaps and splits resulted in
the need, presumably, to rely more on suspended notes (and feedback) and
would have affected the timing of his playing. A lister very properly noted
recently how good Dreaming From The Waist is on the 30 years` video - watch
towards the end how Townshend plays a crisp power chord sequence timed
perfectly to the movements of his body. We also see this to great effect in
a number of peformances on the video of the `82 farewell tour, which are not
generally considered all that strong, but demonstrate PT`s great athleticism
very well (watch him on The Quiet One, it`s unbelievable how good he is). By
the way, to hear a guitarist who really understood PT`s innovations with
power chords, listen to I Don`t Know What I Want (But I Want It Now), a song
on the Raspberries last album, released in the early 70`s ( I mean Eric
Carmen`s old band). It`s a phenomenal tribute to PT. It kicks off real fine
with a slam on the cowbell. Any of you know the song I mean? Cheers.