Pete's guitar playing

There is one aspect of the Who that has always puzzled me.  And that is, why
did Pete play acoustic guitar on the 1989 tour.  I have heard that it was due
to hearing problems.  Forgive my ignorance and lack of musical knowledge
(having never really played an instrument), but what does hearing have to do
with it?  He's still standing up on the stage with all the other musicians.
 So whether he plays lead guitar or gets someone else to do it, what
difference does it make--doesn't he hear the same thing no matter what
instrument he plays?  Also, my understanding is is that he played lead guitar
on his U.S. solo tour--so was there some kine of miracle remission of his
hearing difficulties?

I have heard it said that Pete didn't want to play lead guitar in 1989
because he wanted someone else to do all the work, but this sounds odd to me
as well.   I'm just curious.  Anyone know the "real" story behind this?
 Also, what is the true exent of Pete's hearing problems?

Jon Karesh