The Who, Led Zep, VH, et. al.

mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman) writes:

>Well, there's no way to get any perspective on whether THRILLER will sell
>when it's as distant as the work of The Who and Zep...yet, anyway. And I
>don't know that any record exec would call the sales of HISTORY
>"disappointing."

Critics and industry insiders alike have talked up a storm about the
lackluster sales of "History."  The price of the 2-disc set has even been
dropped to $18 but it still doesn't sell.

>>>I have to judge a band like this: performance (The Who knew no rivals here)
>>
>>Disagreed.
>
>Well, I can only judge by the boots of both bands that I have

All I was saying was that we agree to disagree.  Apples and oranges.  You
prefer the Who (live), and I prefer Zep (live).

>>Besides, you left out some of the other artists who were influenced or
>>inspired by Led Zeppelin, including Aerosmith, Rush, Van Halen, Neil Young,
>>Tori Amos, Heart, Dream Theater, Phish, etc.
>
>Well, apart from Neil Young I'm not too impressed by any of these.

Gee that's too bad.  I'll take any one of them over Green Day.

> Van Halen (a definite formula band, and a direct Zep clone)

No, No, NO!  Van Halen were NEVER a Zep clone.  Give me ONE example of a
Van Halen song being a clone of Led Zep!  Eddie's guitar style is TOTALLY
different from Page's-- Page played more lead guitar while Van Halen
constantly switches back-and-forth between rhythm & lead.  And Eddie
hardly ever plays straight blues.  Alex Van Halen was a big fan of Bonham's
(and Moon's and Baker's), but he rarely resorts to the "boom, crash"
redundancy of those 1980s Clones.

>Of course, that is just my humble opinion...

Same here, of course.  But I'll bet my savings account that more people
(and critics) agree with me than agree with you.

>One final word concerning Van Halen. That Zep was influenced by The Who is
>fairly easy to see...

Actually, Led Zeppelin was formed with the intention of going against the
grain of "singles" bands like the Who.  Very, very few people will listen
to _Led Zeppelin I_ and say, "Oh yeah, definite Who influence here."

> from the structure of the songs (excepting that Page
>was a Blues style guitarist rather than a chord player)

Gee, that's only the most important part of it.

> down to the three-musicians-plus-one-blonde-lead-singer.
>VH was the "next generation" of this influence...
>and a little something was lost each time.

So basically you're saying that all 4-piece rock bands are derived from
The Who?  If Eddie Van Halen could sing lead vocals they'd still be a
power trio.

>Plant is a good (and sometimes great) songwriter. But, as the solo albums
>clearly show, his contribution to Zeppelin was probably the single most
>significant of all the members (after the first album).

No, No, NO!  Page was the member of Zep who did the most-- he produced
EVERY album and co-wrote 95% of the original songs.  A song didn't make
the record unless Page OK'd it.  And Plant was also involved from day
one-- the only reason he didn't receive co-writing credits on "Led
Zeppelin I" is because he still had a contract with CBS.

Well, that's my rant for now.  Sorry if it doesn't have much to do with
The Who, but I saw 2 of my 4 favorite bands slandered so I had to respond.

Later,

Scott
(swandwn@agora.rdrop.com)