Re: The Who and Punk Rock

>           It has long been my belief that " My Generation" is the first
>Punk Rock song ever recorded.  The spirit of Punk was defined by Pete
>both in the lyrics and the raw violence of that song.  One of Pete's
>greatest talents is his ability to be a visionary.  I think of Pete
>much in the same way I think about Robert Johnson.  Robert Johnson
>laid down many of the rules for what was to become Rock & Roll some
>20+ years before the days of Chuck Berry and Little Richard.  Pete
>had the same type of influence 12 years before the Sex Pistols came
>along.  I have heard Lou Reed be refered to as "The Godfather of
>Punk".  In my mind Pete definately invented Punk and Lou Reed is at
>best a pretender to the throne.

Brad:

I disagree only to the extent that Anyway Anyhow Anywhere was the first Punk
song ever recorded...certainly (at least) the attitude of Punk is in that
song. The feedback is somewhat violent, too (compared to the pearls of
perfect production dropped by The Beatles at the time).
Of course MG was even more along these lines, and so was Substitute.
As for Lou Reed, I tend to think that it was a matter of two great minds
being in similar places at the same moment. I doubt Reed had heard the Who
before developing his sound for the VU. And the Underground were definitely
a factor in Punk.

         Cheers                   ML

NP: Stranglers, "I Feel Like A Wog"