Sound Quality

I have a few questions on the sound quality of the new Who CD re-issues. I
will go over them by CD.

1) Box Set- Sound is not bad, but why are many of the early songs (NOT the
Shel Talmy) in mono? The box says they are re-mixed, so why would they not
be in stereo? This goes for basically all of the early singles and the
Quick One songs. And why is The Last Time in that kinda small sounding
stereo?

Also, what is that strange mix of Magic Bus? It is very heavy sounding,
with the acustic guitars mixed back. The sound is mono, and it is not very
good. The stereo version I have from Who's Better Who's Best sounds much
better.

2) Quick One- Here again, the disc says re-mixed, and it even says stereo,
but only one song off the actual LP is in stereo (Run Run Run). Any reasons
why? The sound on the new tracks seems generally better to me. Also, why is
Disguises in mono on this CD when it is in stereo on the Box set?

3) Sell Out- The sound is very good on this CD. I think it is all stereo
except for about one track. For some reason, Our Love Was sounds MUCH
better than it did on the box set. See For Miles also sounds better, buts
its a shame they did not pan the guitar in the solo like they did in the
'60s mix.

4) Tommy- Great sound. I only have two problems with this disc. Both deal
with Were Not Gonna Take It. To start, on my copy there are a lot of
digital pops near the start of the song (mostly from 0:05-0:30). While not
too bad with speakers, it is really annoying under headphones. Also, the
drums seem to have a slightly dead sound to them, not as bright as old CDs.
This may be due to the major reduction of tape hiss, but on first impact
they do seem not as bright.

5) Live At Leeds- Great sound, much better than the old CD. Hopefully MCA
will put out the whole Tommy set from either Leeds or Woodstock.

6) Who's next- Very good sound. No problems here.

Anyone have any comments? Especially with the Tommy note....

Luke

---

LukPac@newrock.com
http://www.corenet.net/lukpac/