RE: What has this world come to?Sun Dec 7 13:25:10 PST 1997

Back in '83, things looked  pretty bleak.  I was an 18 year old fan, who
was dealing with the '82 farewell mess.  A lot of people wrote off The
Who.  Pete looked like crap.  He seemed to be in a bad place.  I kept
listening and hoping.  To me, the change came with "Life to Life".
It may be a silly little pop song, but i think it reflects a change in
his way of thinking.  I know Love Aid was a mixed bag.  The Who were not
in fine form.  Too bad they didn't get After the Fire ready.  And TOO
BAD that they showed Rabbit faking playing the keyboards during Won't
Get
Fooled Again.  ARRRGH.  But the closing with Pete and that Beatle-guy
was redeeming.
'89 was an incredible year.  I can still remember where i was when the
local station (q107 for those in T.O.) broke into the programming to go
live to press conference with The Who.
Toronto LOVED The Who!!!!  They were everywhere on T.V. and radio.  And
all of it positive.
It was a good time.  Six months after the tour, the public's attitude
started to sour, and it has not fully recovered.  Tommy played here for
only 7 months.  It is supposed to return, but come on, Phantom has been
here for 7 years, and Tommy closes after 7 months!
Pete got positive feedback from PD in 93, and Tommy did also.
A local classic rock station (y95) is using The Who in tv ads.
The point of all of this: ( i know you've been waiting patiently for
this)
HANG IN THERE.   We know who the greatest rock band in the universe is.
I have never been one to follow someone because they are popular, and i
know the Who will never have the same kind of mass following that say,
the Stones have, because they don't play to the lowest common
denominator.  You have to think to be a Who fan, something the general
public finds too demanding at times.
I'm affraid that the press will pickup on the Quad show, and will print
things like The Who does 10th farewell tour.  But if they do, they do.
It doesn't take anything from the feeling i get to listening to The Who.
I'm 30 now, and i look forward to not what The Who will do, but rather
what Daltry, Entwistle and Townshend are going to do.
96 is looking like a good year also:
the remixes, JAE tour, Pete's new gh album and tour, and maybe a pay per
view of Quad.
Mike