John's drummer

Rich B said:
>Awhile ago some people on this list argued persuasively that the reason
>John stands where he does with The Who or with his own band is so that >he
can see the drummer clearly and thus form an interactive rhythm >section.

        I was watching the 30 years video last night and this was one of
things I found myself watching for. It definately depends on the drummer
wether you can 'see' him clearly depending on what side your on. I was
always on the left, and I don't think with my drummer, I would have gained
anything being on the right. Having been in a band with a similar format as
the Who, I'm always keen to see how other bands communciate and operate on
stage and there are many times the Who communicates and 'talks' to each
other while playing. Usually it is nothing more than eye contact and raised
eyebrows, but there are a lot of times where Keith and John signal to each
other with motions or looks. The Isle of Wight stuff is a good clip for
this. I would be most interested in seeing the whole show just to watch for
this. I believe its in this clip where Keith actually points at his foot for
John and he is constantly making 'Moon' faces at John. Pete and Keith do
this somewhat, not often, and I haven't really seen it done at all with
Roger. John has said that the only way he could he could find his way back
in some songs was to look at Keith's foot. If one listen's to Live At Leeds
- particularly A Quick One, Keith seems to be all chaotic on the toms, but
listen to his foot and he is amazingly solid and right on. It really shows
off just how good Keith could be. For those who say he was a poor drummer,
they never saw Keith's foot :)!