Re: Who movie

> >Help fight Oasism... listen to The Beatles.
>

> Edward H. Bogle:
>
> I'm not George Martin (or Jeff Lynne)...
>
> I really don't think, despite all of the claims made by the press, that
> Oasis sounds much like The Beatles. More like The Kinks, perhaps. Ditto for
> Blur and The Who/Kinks (they sound more like Squeeze). Sure, there's
> influence. How could there not be? How original can anyone be at this point
> (although I'm still waiting for a Captain Beefheart-clone).

I think Blur is showing that you can still achieve your own sound without
being a blatant ripoff (Bush, Green Day, Oasis, Black Crowes all
qualify).  From their sound I've heard the Clash, Jam, Elvis Costello,
Who, and Ray Davies from the songwriting side.  Noel Gallagher doesn't
have the talent to write the narratives Albarn writes that definately
evoke the Ray Davies comparison.  Blur has shown that they have that
talent of being the thief in the smart sense that The Who and Kinks
demonstrated early in their career.  When Oasis has to drop a song from
their new album because it's too close to an early 70's Stevie Wonder
song, you just don't grasp the concept of writing good rock/pop music.

> While we're at it, someone mentioned Dandelion not too long ago. Has anyone
> else heard their version of The Stones' Citadel? It sounds a lot like: what
> if The Who had done this song? I'm not a Stones fan...(maybe I should have
> saved that one), but this is a great version.
> That's one benefit of having this store...lots of good new (to me) music.
> I'm listening to Paul Weller's WILD WOOD at the moment. Nothing like The
> Jam, but not too much like The Style Council (at least, what I've heard) either.

Is that the album with "Start!"?  George Harrison could've earned back
every cent he lost for "My Sweet Lord".   He could've played the
"Taxman".  (hint)