Re: Selbtdarstellung, et al

Guten Abend, Tom!

Sorry, I do not want to annoy you with correcting every German word you post,
but maybe learning German as a foreign language is of some interest to some
Who lister.  So...

Re:

> NP:  "In Munchen staat, ein Hofbrau haus, ein, zwei..."
            .                     .
        In Munchen steht ein Hofbrauhaus, eins, zwei...

        (Bavarian dialect versions may differ.)

> 	The denotative nuances notwithstanding, after I posted that last note,
> I thought "self-declaration" was a better definition then the ones I
> cited.  I understand that Selbstdarstellung has much more to its
> meaning than a cryptic one word (hyphenated) definition.... but the
> cryptic definitions are easier to type.  ;-)

I don't think that "self-declaration" fits well here.  But maybe there is
another English word without the prefix "self-" that rather precisely translates
"Selbstdarstellung".  Any suggestions?

> 	Oh, while I'm on the topic of German city/state/foods, when John F
> Kennedy stood at the Berlin Wall and said, "Ich bin ein Berliner" what
> did that mean?  I've been told that it means either "I am a Chocolate
> Eclair," and/or "I am a sausage."

I know of two possible meanings of the word "Berliner":

   1)  an inhabitant of Berlin,
   2)  kind of a doughnut.

I usually think of 1), but I don't know what JFK had in mind when he read the
above-mentioned sentence off of his little sheet of paper...

            .
Herzliche Grusse,

Bernd