12 years or so

The interesting and illuminating discussion on the list of that German
philosophical or sociological term ("Selb...") PT used in the song
Communication brought to my mind forcibly how much PT changed between the
time he released that song and the time, some 12 or 15 years earlier when,
in a German tv station, an earnest interviewer posed a lengthy,
philosophical-sounding question to PT about Tommy, and PT, listening
intently with head hung low, looked up at the interviewer with a rueful (but
kindly) glance and said, smilingly, "Yeah...". (Everyone will remember this
classic scene from TKAA (film)). A dozen or so years later, the by now
super-literate PT is casually throws into a rock song a German term which
cannot be intelligibly explained in English (we are told by a German Who
fan) in less than a paragraph or two! Geez! I guess we can fully expect
Billie Joe to be citing Kant or Sartre in his fourth solo album in the year
2010!.....Gary M.