QUAD Live

>     time as a large and imposing work.  Powerfully moving, but more
>     somthing you sat and respected than one you stood up and cheered
>     about. I think this response was mistaken by The Who for lack of
>     enthusiasm, which it wasn't.  As an American, I have no problem with

The Who probably made alot of bad decisions for reasons like this. They
musta always seen America as the cash cow and `cow-towed' to what they
though our audiences wanted. But I wonder what peoples' reactions were at
the Quadrophenia shows. If someone heard, say, `Sea & Sand' for the first
time in concert and liked it wouldn't they stand up and cheer about it
after? Or is it all about "when are they gonna play `Teenage Wasteland'" and
then scream through the whole number? (This is all summarized in Townshends
face during the `Who Rocks America' video. I was at the Phila show and it
WAS just a teenage wasteland.)
For one thing if you don't know the music isn't it pretty much impossible to
make out lyrics at a rock concert? So how important was it for the audiences
to understand the story of Quadrophenia? Every song stands on it's own.