Quadrophenia in 1974

The following is a transcript of the liner notes from a bootleg CD of the band
playing the Charlton Athletic Field on 5/18/74, entitled 'Love Rain o're Me',
that I thought was very interesting and would like to share with everyone out
there who loves Quadrophenia. Anyway, here it goes:

"Quadrophrenia was a very ambitious project for both Pete as a writer and THE
WHO as a band. It was intended to make people forget about Tommy. THE WHO has
grown tired ot having to play Tommy songs or even the whole opera in its
entirety for three years.  But apart from four songs from Who's Next there was
no new material.  Quadrophenia should have become the central focus point of
future WHO concerts.  It should be given the space formerly occupied by Tommy.

 But there were other ambitious aspects. Pete's growing interest in
synthesizers which was reflected in Who's Next also found its way into
Quadrophenia.  But the Backing tracks used on Quadrophenia were far more
complex than the metronomic patterns on Baba O'Riley or WGFA.  Technically,
Quadrophenia was a further step forward.  And it was at least three Steps
forward as far as musical development is concerned.  QUADROPHENIA IS THE MOST
COMPLEX WORK OF THE WHO!

Ironically, all these aspects led to the failure of the project.  The Who's
U.S. shows usually started with Who standards like I Can't Explain and
Summertime Blues, as the intended Quadrophenia songs constituted the middle
section of the shows.  Contrary to the beginning and the final section of the
shows, the audiences were mostly left unmoved by the Quadrophenia songs.
American audiences proved to be unable to understand the allusions to the
early sixties problems in England. So, Roger began to give explanations
between the numbers.

The High technical standard caused another problem.  They had to use
prerecorded tapes and Keith had to play with headphones on, in order to follow
the rather complicated patterns.  Keith could hardly hear the band and the
band could hardly hear the tapes.  Sometimes they were completely out of
synch.  As a result they dropped more and more numbers and so Roger's
expalnations grew longer and Longer.  The failure of the concept became
obvious.  Albums sales went well but Quadrophenia failed to be a vehicle for
the band's live performances.  A very crucial experience for pete.  So by May
18, 1974 only three songs from the double album were played, or as Roger put
on that day: 'A selection off our last album, or whats left from our last
album on stage.  Anyway, this is a favourite of ours.  Its a number called
Drowned!'"

The person WHO wrote this passage is named Matthias Stolla.  Does anybody out
there know WHO this person is?  Matthias, are you out there?

Anyway, what do you all think of this stuff?  Pretty insightful.
Do you think that Quad. is the band's most complex work?
Write me with your comments to this passage, I'd like to hear what you all
think.
By the way, is anyone interested in trading tapes?  I'll post what I have
presently available soon.

LONG LIVE ROCK!
Ty Velde
Boston, MA