ONLY WHO CONTENT

Hi  Owen,

>>Joe Walsh - I remember rumors prior to the '89 tour that Walsh was going to
play lead guitar at some/all of the shows. I was amazed, but I figured it was
(would have been) an outstanding choice. Not that Joe could "replace" Pete, but
he's certainly got the right guitar sound when he wants it.<<

I heard that Joe Walsh actually inked the deal to play with The Who in 1989
contingent upon The Who not signing anyone else.  Sooner, rather than later,
they found Steve Bolton and went with him.  I think Joe was going to be their
ace-in-the-hole in the event The Who could not find anyone satisfactory.  I was
extremely excited to hear that Joe Walsh may have been the guitarist when it was
rumored.

Concerning the JAE tour and previous tours, JAE was definitely a wonder on the
bass and still maintains legendary status in present day.  However, JAE was more
fanciful in his 1988 tour in Philadelphia and NY (year may not be totally
accurate).  JAE would routinely grab the top string and the bottom string with
his thumb and index finger, respectively, and pull them out and let go so they
would snap against the body of the bass and create a sharp sound appropriate to
the song.  He would also ride his index finger UP the neck of the guitar on his
right hand as he rode his left hands fingers DOWN the bass to create a visual
affect.  Did not see any of that at these three shows on this tour I saw him at.
Regardless, JAE is unmatched.

THANK GOD FOR THE WHO - Me

Larry