eyesSun Dec 7 13:25:10 PST 1997

I remember seeing The Who play at the Pontiac Silverdome in December 1979. We
had made our way up front (rows had long since been abandoned), and I got
eye-contact with the band. During "Who Are You", The guitarist was playing
simplified chords, the ones that most kids knew in those days. He looked at
me and shook his head as if to say, "this song ain't shit". The next instant,
he jumped up high on the neck and started playing the combined chords/leads
that I like so much, and started jumping around as if to say, "but you can't
do this!". I simply raised my fist along with all the other fistraisers that
collected in front of Pete Townshend. Between a couple of songs, Entwhistle
gave me a good "you are one crazy sonofabitch" look. It was a real judge to
defendant look, and yes, I felt guilty. But now, I think he was really
looking at my hat, a black felt cowboy hat supporting a psychedelic band that
I found in a junkyard the month before. I want to think he liked it.
It seemed to me, that even though there were tens of thousands of people at
the show, The Who were playing for the the first 50 feet. It also seemed to
me that they gave 110%.

Jon

PS. I also got eye contact with Patti Smith the same year. She blew a honker
at me, but the bitch missed.