Re: Question on Quad: MCA, Polydor, MFSL

-----------------------  Begin Original Message  ----------------------
Rich wrote:
> If you don't already have Quad, I'd recommend the gold set for the
> slightly better sound and nice booklet.  It ain't perfect, but it'll do
until
> the latest and greatest remix/remaster is released.

Hmmm, just for my record: Is the MCA CD release of Quad w/o booklet???

As for "flat" Gold discs:
Their overall volume level is indeed lower than on the original, but
I think that's intentional to get a higher dynamic range.

Later,
Chris
------------------------  End Original Message  -----------------------
To answer the question:  Is the MCA CD release of Quad without booklet?

        The answer is YES..... MCA originally released this in 2 single-cd
jewel cases, with fold-out lyrics, but no booklet duplicating the original
lp release (my thoughts at the time were, "at least ya get the words").
        But, really, with the way MCA treated the initial releases of the
entire WHO catalog, I considered myself lucky just getting the lyrics.
(Did you see what they did with "It's Hard" shortly after it was released?
Back in '89, I was chking out a friend's copy of the disc... I pulled out
the booklet, and it was no booklet!  It was just the outer part of the
booklet, complete with *partial* lyrics... no pgs 3-6.... how sloppy.  And
this was apparently NOT an isolated case, as I JUST saw another copy at a
record show last Sunday!   Thankfully, it APPEARS to be a rare occurence, as
I was able to obtain a copy with the full booklet..... God, I sure hope
Polydor has their shit together over MCA.... ).
        Oh, one other thing:  recently, MCA has released Quad in a nice
slipcase, that holds both single jewel-cased cds, but still no booklet;
ya gotta get the MFSL gold version for the booklet (or, apparently, a
polydor import).  I got my money back on the cheap slipcase version.

        gary.