Re: Tommy

Janet: re:
>Does anyone know the whereabouts of a GOOD live
>Who performance of Tommy during the late 60's??

Currently, the best quality "Live Tommy" from the '60's is from a CD boot
called, "Accept No Substitute" (aka "Sparks On The Bay"). Unfortunately, it
has 2 problems, a) the speed needs to be corrected via a CD player with a
pitch control (it's about 5-8% too slow, depending on who you ask) and it's
not a complete "Tommy" concert. Then, you have "Live In Amsterdam", which is
as complete as you get for 1969 and the sound quality is decent, but in my
opinion (others have and will disagree), the mix stinks and doesn't capture
the flavor of The Who, live. Then you have various boots of the Who's
"Woodstock" performance, in which Keith outdrums himself, but they do skip
over the Overture. Currently, the best quality release on that is called,
"The Violent Side" (2 CD from Japan). It sounds decent, but unfortunately, is
mono. If you wait until January (or so), the "Isle Of Wight" performance will
be out and probably worth waiting for...

I think this covers what's currently "floating around". Hope this helps.

WF <~