The Who + the Beatles

I've no desire to join in the Beatles Vs. Who discussion, but I figured I'd
impart some little known tidbits.  I spent 5 years studying The Beatles
January 1969 "Get Back" sessions for a book (which was published in late
1994, thank God), and The Who come up more than a few times.  Firstly, there
is extensive mention throughout the sessions of "Rcok and Roll Circus".
This should come as no surprise, as the "Get Back" TV special (which
eventually mutated into the "Let It Be" film") and "Rock and Roll Circus"
share many common elements.  Chief among them, they have the same director
(Michael Lindsay-Hogg) and sound engineer (Glyn Johns).  The Beatles
(especially Paul) spend a great deal of time discussing The Circus.  When
discussing what amps to use on their show, Glyn discusses the amps Pete used
at "R+R Circus", and how he turned one off so the other one would overload
and distort.  When George suggests that The Beatles invite other artists
(specifically Bob Dylan) to appear on their show, he mentions that they
would run the risk of being upstaged, "like The Who did to the Stones".  So
only a month after it was filmed everyone knew that The Who had stolen the show.

After much bickering over the impending TV spectacular, George quit the band
during lunch on January 10th.  The three remaining Beatles returned to the
rehearsal stage, and John Lennon picked up his guitar and played (quite
fittingly, and quite purposefully), "A Quick One While He's Away".

rainman
--------
"The only one who wouldn't wear a silver suit" - PM on PT, 1979.