Re: Funny List, after all

At 23:57 10/3/95, scott james wrote:
>A person can not get away
>with so much as a typo, let alone say pete was drinking Heineken, when it
>was rolling rock. I think I have seen at this point several references to
>my ERROR

Think of it as an interest in accuracy.  If this list doesn't get this
stuff right, who will?  :-)

If you're feeling jumped on because people corrected you, please try to see
it as constructive.  I didn't see anyone being abusive toward you (did I
miss something?), rather just stating the facts.  If you really remembered
seeing him drinking Heineken, then there would have been an honest
disagreement on fact, which might have been resolved by a third party or
gone forever unresolved.  OTOH, the fact that you have said it was an error
on your part implies that you merely remembered seeing him drinking beer,
and filled in the "Heineken" part on your own.  I don't think anyone is
well served by propagating errors, even (as in this case) minor or
relatively inconsequential ones.  (For this reason, I welcome accurate
correction of anything I post, and because I take this stuff (Who)
seriously, I try to make clear whether I am posting fact, opinion,
conjecture, etc.)

Mailing lists are pretty much by definition composed of people who care to
an unusual degree about the subject matter.  My guess is that thewho is
typical in its degree of collective interest (read: revelry) in minutiae.

IMO,
Alan

I'll play at the opening of an envelope.
                        --John Entwistle