Re: The Who Digest Vol 2 Num 306

David C. Olstein writes:

>>When Jon Astley finishes with the Who, the Kinks 60's recordings on
>>Reprise would be a great project for him.
>I couldn't agree more!  Nearly all of the Kinks albums released between
>1966 and 1970 are now considered classics, but the CDs leave much to be
>desired.  Once the Who upgrades are finished, the Kinks will have the
>distinction of receiving the second worst CD treatment of any major
>artists.  The top honors, of course, go to the Rolling Stones and their
>London catalog, brought to you courtesy of-- who else? -- Allen ("I never
>met an artist I didn't screw") Klein.

This would be a great project - there is lots of unreleased Kinks material
lurking around. However, while the Kinks early re-issued CDs leave a lot to
be desired there is a now a 3 CD collection in the UK which contains
remastered versions of all the familiar material. Not sure if it reached
the States. All the old Kinks Pye material (pre Mullswells) is released by
Castle Communications in the UK (same crowd as responsible for forthcoming
Who Isle of Wight CDs).

Ian Burn                                        e-mail: vlsburia@reading.ac.uk
The Library, The University of Reading,            Tel: +44 0734 318775
Whiteknights, Reading RG6 2AE, Great Britain.      Fax: +44 0734 316636