Re: covers in general

-- [ From: Thomas G. Farrell Jr. * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Mark,
  RE:  TOMMY's Production.  I must agree:  I've never liked the
production of the original album, especially the drums.   I think it
was Entwistle who said something to the effect that Lambert's
production made Moon's drums sound like "sticks hitting empty biscuit
tins."  And JAE knows his biscuits!!! <G>
  A previous reply said that Shel Talmy's production left albums sound
"dry and lifeless."  I agree with that assessment; after all, Talmy
gave us "Bald Headed Woman," did he not?  However, Lambert's production
on TOMMY isn't much better, especially when one compares the live
versions of TOMMY to the album.  The live versions, imho, possess far
more power than the album, at least instrumentally.   In fact, the only
song on the original TOMMY that stands out instrumentally in my mind
(aside from JAE's French Horn in the Overture) is "Go To the Mirror,"
which features PT's robust block chords which all know and love.  Also
some excellent harmonies in "Go to the Mirror," especially toward the
end of the song.  (Thought to myself:  "I will not say that the Who's
harmonizing was Beatlesque, I will not say.... <ad infinitum>").
  A good, good friend recently sent me the TOMMY DEMOS, and I must say,
they are quite good.  Didn't Black Dog Records release that boot?  Or
was it the Quad Demos?  If so, it's surprising Black Dog records could
produce such a good boot (Black Dog Records gave us the infamous "Cobo
Hall" CD, which, incidentally, I saw this weekend in a record store....
and ran screaming in the other direction at the sight of it:  "EEEEK!
Run for your lives!!!!" <G>.)
  Every good wish--Tom Farrell