Ending of Quad (film) --> Meaning?

After the wake of Phish performing Quadrophenia, I decided to scan
their USENET group and see the reactions from the die hards.
Suprisingly, there isn't a lot of negative comments (IE why the Who?)
except for one who seems to be stuck in the mid 60's Who and finds
Tommy to be the beginning of the end (I always thought it was the
beginning of brilliance, well Sell Out too).  To him Quad is just
"synthesizer arena rock"; his loss.

Anyway I discovered a thread about the film and how someone
interpreted the ending.  This certain poster saw the crashing motor
scooter on the rocks and Roger singing "You stop dancing" as Jimmy
finally forgetting his past and growing up.  The bike is the symbol
of his past as he sends it over the cliff.

Since you never see Jimmy (or a dummy in the movie) falling with the bike
I always felt that he did decide to jump off at the last second.
However I know many feel that he did take the plunge after certain events
drove him to the edge.  Seeing someone fall to their grotesque
finality is just useless to prove the point (as the ones who believe
that he did die).

According to the album, it doesn't seem that Jimmy took his life;
especially with "Love..." being the last song.

So, which is it??