JAE & The Rock?

Dunno if this rings a bell for any listreaders, but does anyone
know anything about an apparent number of live shows John
Entwistle did in mid-1988 fronting a band called The Rock?

I can't say the name of the band is right for sure, as it was my
friend who actually saw -- and taped -- the show he did in
Providence, R.I., in July '88. The tape my friend sent me later
includes a typical complement of JAE stuff -- You, Trick of the
Light, The Quiet One, Boris, My Wife and Twist and Shout -- plus
some other songs the titles of which I don't recognize. I've
always suspected JAE was testing the waters for a solo album of
some kind that never got off the ground. The non-Entwistle tunes
are sung by another vocalist.

So, any more info on this? I've not heard it discussed before in
my short time on the list. Any help is, as always, much
appreciated!

--Jon