exciting things the Who used to do

>Among all the other exciting things the Who used to do, that was right up there.
>The lights would go out, you'd here the sound of thunder as Moon checked out
>the drums, the lights would come up and then non-stop excitement for two hours.
>I always looked forward to the end of the show. Would Pete smash his guitar
>or not?

	The first time I saw the WHO (12/75 Providence) their stage entrance
	just blew me away - it was *so* sudden!  We were sitting around
	wondering how long it would be before they hit the stage and then,
	fifteen seconds later, were in a total frenzy to the opening chords
	of "I Can't Explain".

>I always hated it in later years when they would stroll out, check the tuning
>on the guitars, etc. just like a regular band.

	Well put: "just like a regular band".  I guess that is what they
	ultimately became but while Moon was there they were a breed apart.
	No one can tell me that Moon had "lost it" be 1976.  It just ain't
	so - listen to the boots.  Perhaps he had lost it by 1978 but I'm
	not convinced - there is not enough live material from that time
	period to make a conclusion (granted Shepperton sucked for Moon) and
	the studio work was a departure to which he was not well-suited.

	Rick Carroll
	carroll@faxon.com