Re: Re[2]: The Who Sell out - Complete

>He certainly WAS tortured during the '70s, he wrote umpteen classics during
>that time, AND this was his `drug-free' period. He was handling things [major
>success being one of them] during this period withOUT drugs, maybe
>channelling into the unbelievably great music he made then.

(hating to be dragged back into this)
According to Dave Marsh, Townshend never completely stopped using drugs
during this period. He mentions Pot as a certainty, for one. Townshend has
also claimed that only with Pot can he appreciate music (on the other hand,
he's claimed a lot of things).
As for how he was handling things, you might recall that right in the middle
of that period (while doing the soundtrack for the TOMMY movie), he was so
upset that his hair was coming out in handfuls.
So...I suppose it all comes down to how much credibility you give Marsh.
Don't say it, WFang...
           Cheers                     ML