Re: Re[2]: Weak singles

>>As an aside, I consider XTC's Senses Working Overtime to be the most perfect
>>Pop single ever recorded.
>
>Oooh,... interesting thought!  I may agree, but please expound!

Kevin:
Hmmm...it's not much, really. Being an XTC fan has nothing to do with it
(yeah, right!).
I just think the song is glowing in its perfection (and not trite or too
sweet, like most Pop) and enduring (I've heard it a thousand times and never
get tired of it) AND at the same time doesn't compromise the band's other
music (indeed, it enhances it).
The other great Pop (and Rock, and Punk) singles by XTC are great, and some
even approach SWO (like Peter Pumpkinhead & The Mayor Of Simpleton) in their
beauty. But SWO just somehow does it perfectly.
I don't know if I can explain...it just IS...it makes you want to sing
along...it's hard to resist, really.
Another one on that particular album that comes very close is All Of A
Sudden (It's Too Late).
However, upon reflection I must say that I think Waterloo Sunset is the most
beautiful Pop single ever recorded...
    Cheers                 ML