Re: The Who With Horns, Horrible

I know this is very opinionated but I will say it anyway. the horns ruined
the who's sound. Actually, the who ruined the who's sound. (i love 5:15,
don't get me wrong). I saw a couple of the shows from the '89 tour at giant
stadium, and although there were some moments the whole thing was contrived
to compensate for a very weak sounding band. Now, i will say that it was
one of the best tommy performances I have seen. the weather was so nice,
the sun was setting and the sound mix was excellent for the tommy segment,
the pete segment which followed was not bad either, though a bit contrived.
I think pete was beginning to mold his pompous personality at the time to a
fine point. I always thought it was funny, the way they "beefed" up the who
from that era. the fact that they new the sound with the 3 of them, or 4
including that replacement drummer that they used after the raging moon had
died, what was his name, Kenny something? (amazing how I forget what I want
to) was really weak. Simon Phillips, for all his technical prowess never
knows when not to overplay, thats all he does is play, did he ever listen?
They new they were not the same band, and since their bank accounts would
not let them just end it with some pride, they went on in a rather
amazingly bleak and dismal fashion from the moment moon was gone, to this
day. I remember the broadcast from canada back on july 4th, what year was
it, the Whos Last tour? I was so embarrased after I had urged a large group
of people to make this broadcast the focal point of the evenings
festivities and swore I would never spend another minuite reliving my past.
I am not remotely as big a fan of zeppelin, but  I have to respect them for
quitting, at least for a while after bonham died. I mean, have the who been
as embarrassing to anyone else? I speak of them with so much pride and
dignity and at the same time, this stuff comes out of my mouth(mind?)
Clearly, The Who have the most unique sound in the history of rock and
roll, No other band is so easily defind by their sound and song
writing/arrangements. Clearly as unique as one can be in a musical genre
filled with posers and rape and pillage and recycling (of others music) as
you could find any where. I could go on , and I will. Some other time.

I won't apologize for going on so long, but if this is not the place for
it, let me know.

regards, scott.

by the way, there was no track listing for Whos Next in ICE as of the June
1995 issue.