Are we musical snobs?

Sometimes I admit that I feel guilty about not liking many of today's
artists.  Actually for it me I'm getting better for I actually found
something in Nirvana (SOME Nirvana, not all) and STP.  I even like
Pearl Jam to an extent.  But other than that I can't see the bands of
today matching what was so special in the late 60's.  What makes the
Who great to us?  Why hasn't there been a band to come along since that
rivals what made the Who and their ilk so special?

My feelings is that rock evolved like jazz only faster. What took
jazz 50 years to get to (free jazz) it took rock music 20.  In jazz
I still think that the late 40's to mid 60's is Jazz's zenith.
For rock it's peak was 1965-1976.  I'll call punk rock's free jazz.
It's the music many don't understand and put down because they can't
relate with it.

Now it seems there are many like us who want to look back at this
period in rock music and never let it die. Just like people still
long to hear be-bop and hard bop jazz in local clubs.  Why can't
rock (and jazz for that matter) build on what made it great? Im sure
it's not impossible.

comments?