Re: A new Who related album?

Laura wrote:
>Hey all,
> My brother just e-mailed me about some new music out. (We always trade
>new music tips.) Anyway, this one, I thought you might all be interested
>in. Does anyone know them or have info?
>
>>Have you heard of "Guided by Voices?" They have a new record out that's
>>getting pretty good reviews. Another album of theirs that's supposed to be
>>good is "Bee Thousand" which is apparently how you say Pete Townsend
>>after too may beers. Thought you'd be interested.

GBV is a Dayton, Ohio band that has been around for at least 10 years.
They are part of the "low-fi" movement, recording on real primitive
equipment.  I have seen them live (taped it), they are excellent.  Really
short songs, kind of like a punky cross between the Who, the Beatles and
Cheap Trick.  Haven't heard any studio albums yet, but did read a review
that their new album, Alien Lanes, is better than Bee Thousand.
Unlike the Who, they churn out a huge amount of material, easily 40-50
songs a year.
Also read somewhere (maybe the newsgroup) that the lead singer, who is a
40-ish schoolteacher, has been listening to Quadrophenia every day,
preparing an album as a homage to it.

BTW, look at the spine of the new Leeds CD:  the O in "The Who" looks
suspiciously like a zero to me.
Have a nice day.

Joe Grimes     Cincinnati, Ohio     jgg@iac.net
Hey Who fans!  Come join us on IRC channel #the_who.
You'll be glad you did.   Yours truly, armadillo.