ICSFM

	Hey everybody,

	Well I've got another assignment that I'd like to do with the Who
as the topic.  This time its a paper for my recording class, taught by
Randy Rand (look at a few of those old vinyl sleeves you got laying
around and you might spot his name as producer or engineer.)  Anyway, we
have to write a very in-depth critical analysis of one song.  I thought
"I Can See For Miles" would be a good choice, it being Pete's
self-described masterpiece and all.
	I've noticed there are a few people here who have a lot of
technical knowledge about the recording process.  If some of you would
send me your opinions of ICSFM it would help me a lot (song structure,
effects, and the way it may have been recorded, like what kind of mics
and stuff.)  Even if you don't have any special tech know-how but have
some ideas, let me hear them.
	The one problem I've always had with the song is the somewhat
low-fi sound it has.  Everything is very narrow and undefined unlike
other songs from the same album like "Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands"
which seems really clear.  Does anybody know why this is?  I've also been
trying to figure out why Keith's drum sound is so pathetic on the early
albums (you can only really hear snare, symbols, and some hi-toms.)  My
guess was that they were only recording him with overhead mics.  This
would explain the lack of kick drum and low tom sound.  Is this accurate
at all?  I'd appreciate any help I could get with this stuff.

Shanon

P.S.  I think we need to collectively come up with a new term to replace
"Blown Away" when describing our experiences with the Who and their
recordings.  It seems to be a little overused here.
Shanon Dell                     |
Radio/Television Broadcasting   |  "Deaf, dumb, and blind boy, he's in a
University of Montana           |   quiet vibration land..."
tommy@selway.umt.edu            |                   -- The Who's "Tommy"