rag on Rolling Stone

Well, since the mood is set I will submit a little snippet of how I feel
about Rolling Stone.

Many people are apparently upset about how the magazine does not cover
some of the older bands, but the fact is that the music has moved on (not
necessarily changed much).  I will give the Stone some credit for finding
good new talent and exposing some good live performances.  BUT, when you
open any given issue and you are faced with perfume ads, car ads,
underwear ads....I mean about 80% of the magazine is ads.  They need to
sell advertizing space to survive but the imagery is discusting...it
seems that the private sector has hit the band wagon and has developed
"cool" or "hip" ads to appeal to todays youth.   For example, I just now
opened my latest issue and BOOM: right to the "Marlboro Gear" ad
insert...Head out, ride hard, kick back and gear up...followed by
pictures of Marlboro's new line of outdoor action wear (Down coat, back
pack, camera case, etc)  Utter bullshit.

The Rolling Stone has sold out to a richer society, absent of
intelligence.  Forget art, culture, and events...they have sided with the
so-called upper echelon of our narcisistic society.

-JB