Re: Tommy on Broadway

<---- Begin Included Message ---->
 Sun Dec  7 12:26:38 PST 1997
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 95 19:46:48 PST
From: Wes Biggs <wbiggs@chaph.usc.edu>
Subject: Tommy on Broadway
To: thewho@cisco.com

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to gush about seeing Tommy on
Broadway (got sent to Times Square for a journalism convention, so it
worked out pretty well, even if tix are still ridiculously overpriced
at 50% off).

I have to compliment Pete and Des McAnuff -- or whoever was in charge
of working the story out -- for turning what I've always seen as a
somewhat surreal, not entirely consistent plot into something that
could be done as a two-hour Broadway musical.  I always wondered how
Tommy could have been a pinball wizard when he was a wee tot in 1921.
The musical solves that by making "Twenty-one" by Tommy's mum's 21st
birthday and setting the whole story to start in WWII, not WWI.

So, my only complaints were (a) it wasn't really the Who (some of the
style of B-way singing was a bit hard to stomach, especially "Acid
Queen"), (b) they toned it down too much in parts (cut the rape lyrics
to "We're Not Gonna Take It"; made Uncle Ernie's "Fiddle About" seem
more plaintive than actual, etc.), and (c) the finale was rather weak.

As for the show's strong point, I would have to say that "21/You
Didn't Hear It" came off much better than the original version, if
only because you can tell who is saying what and see the drama with
Tommy's returning father who finds his wife with her lover.  It was,
for some reason, very moving in a terrible way to watch them scream at
young Thomas "You won't say nothing to no one, never in your life."

My random comments.  I'm not sure how many of you in list land have
seen the show, whether in NYC or on tour, but my criticisms are open
for debate.

Wes

Wes

I've seen Tommy on B'way twice now, and over all it blew me away.  I didn't go
into the show expecting it to be as close to the orig as it was.  Poetic &
musical liscence and all.  There is a need to try and please a wider audience
for this type of show.  Hell there were a couple of women I spoke to who
thought that Elton John wrote it.  Go figure. But I enjoyed it so much, that
if I could afford it, I would attend once a week, at least.

I will be going to the Toronto show on April 1st, and it should be interesting
to see any differences.  I had a chance to reside in TO for a couple of months
last year, just when Pete was in town to do the casting.  His comments on the
radio were that "Toronto's production will be more in line with what The Who
originally intended" whatever that means.  I know some people on this list
have seen Tommy in TO, has anyone seen both?  I would be interested in
comments.  TIA

Fletch
LAL 14040
<---- End Included Message ---->