Re: hello/re: daltrey on disney

On Thu, 16 Mar 1995, Martin J Secero wrote:

> . And BTW, Alice Cooper sang "I'm a Boy" and Lou Reed did "Now And Then"
> with David Sandborn on sax and Sinead O'Connor on backups. Terrible version,
> too---Lou turned the song from an intricate reflection on the fleeting
> nature of love into a Andrew Sisters-style blues romp which became more
> monotonous with every excruciating second.

IMHO, Alice tore the place up with "I'm a Boy."  Even wore an "I'm A
Boy" T-shirt under his leather jacket.  The performance kicked butt.

As for Lou's "Now and Then", I agree with Marty.  I like much of Lou's
music, but wouldn't necessarily call myself a fan.  But whereas the
original NaT is sweet and ethereal and thought-provoking, Lou's
interpretation was leering, hey-baby swing.  Not that I don't think
that has its place, but not with that song.  IMHO.

> 2) Linda Perry's... actual performance, can you say OVERSINGING!?!?!?!?

Although I don't have quite the violent reaction against her that
Marty describes, I agree again.  She was pretty good in the loud
blustery parts, but "overacting" is the only way to describe the "Is
it me...?" parts.  The video editing and camera angles make her look
_much_ better in the released video on this song than she appeared
live.

Nobody ast me, but other standouts for me were "5:15" with David
Sanborn and some _cookin'_ trumpet player from Juilliard; John's "Real
Me" and "BBE"; "Baba" with Sinead on backups (and I am definitely
_not_ a Sinead fan)...and of course Pete's songs and WGFA.

> 3) Pete's preamble to "Who Are You" WAS, in my opinion, total bullshit. " I
> wish....I wish....I knew what fear was". What did he mean by that?!?!?!?!?

Wouldn't presume to speak for Pete, but I thought it was a very
sobering thing (for me) for him to say.  I've thought about it myself.
It was during the PSyD tour that I realized Pete doesn't give a shit
if he forgets the words to songs, or (to a degree) if things screw up
onstage.  He's just been doing it too long to get upset over having to
improvise a line or verse.  Another illustration of this was the intro
to the PPV of the BAM PsyD, where the MTV (or was it VH-1, I forget)
VJ was folowing along with him as his walked to the stage, trying to
get him to express how nervous he was at this national live broadcast,
and Pete was completely unconcerned -- just another show, to him.  I
wonder whether he meant he wished he had the same anticipation and
nervousness (fear) before a show that he had at the beginning of his
career.  Was he saying he feels emotionally dead?  Or does he think
that his lack of fear (but not necessarily other emotions?) distances
him from other people?

As stealing the show, some thought he set the stage for that the
moment he appeared wearing those professorial glasses; the song
selections just confirmed it.

Alan
LaL #009099

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend