Re: i can't believe they got it right!!!!!!!!

> TapeBoy@aol.com wrote:
> >picked up the special packaging of the cd and much to my amazement
> >mca/polydor/the who/astley/charlesworth actually GOT IT RIGHT for
> >once!!! this is what all reissues should be like! and this sets a very high
> >standard for the rest of the reissues to live up to.

> Jon Proulx <jlproulx@mailbox.syr.edu> wrote:
> > Anyway... I especially love _A Quick One_ and _Amazing Journey/Sparks
> > (what a tease, though.How can they give us that and leave the rest of
> > Tommy to our imaginations? I hope we get it eventually.)

> Yes. even w/ 70 mins I still want more ! Live@Leeds2!Tommy! Me 2 !

greedy :)

> Sparks has to be my favorite tune on this...specially after
> seeing the BW show!The sound quality is great the packaging phenomanal.
> I only wish it was a 2cd set...IMO  the versions of FortuneTeller/Tattoo on
> the FillmoreEast68 Cd are more precise and spirited. I would have
> rather seen the Tommy tracks.

I've been listening to this CD since I purchased it during lunch.  My
inital reaction was a minor letdown.  Not because of the CD itself
but the fact that I've waiting to buy this CD for four months and
now I finally have it.  No more excitement (now I can point to May
for Who's Next, Sell Out, and A Quick One (hopefully)).

At first I thought H+H and ICE from Tanglewood had more energy (you
just can't top Pete's solo of H+H from Tanglewood, its a wonder that was
recorded) but a closer listen and there is certain drive there.  You
can't beat the intro to Fortune Teller from the Fillmore, it's so
explosive.  However FT and Tattoo are better than Amsterdam by far.

I really didn't grasp the overall concert until coming home I heard
the long Quick One intro and the song itself.  I found myself really
getting into it.  Pete lays out the story in narration and then the
("What's that Pete??") result, it achieves such a strong effect.  Another
thing that set the Who apart was their communication with the audience.
It wasn't a rock god vs the little people relationship, instead it was your
peers who treat you as such entertaining for an evening.
Unfortunately this faded the larger the arenas and stadiums became,
but they still didn't forget the fans.

What the new songs do to the originals is that they enhance their
power.  My Generation and Magic Bus are now fresher than ever.

Lastly, the sound, and WHAT A SOUND!! It's very rare that a live
rock performance over 25 years old will ever sound this good.  Just
on the remixing I can't wait for the later releases.  Imagine Who's
Next with this treatment.

Ian Derby
Licking his chops for Sell Out, Quick One, and Who's Next