Sound as a concept on Sell Out

Someone on alt.music.who had a problem with the remixing of Sell Out,
saying the original album was mixed to have an AM radio sound to it, even
though it originally had both a stereo and mono mix.  This supposedly fit
in with the radio parody concept.  I'm wondering if the sound was a
conscious effort or whether it was just a case of primitive equipment and
techniques.

I'm not saying that old recordings shouldn't be remastered.  I'm constantly
upgrading my CDs whenever a better version is released.  But in specific
cases like Sell Out, where the sound MAY be part of the concept, is a
perfect, modern sound necessary?  One thing's for sure: Even though I like
the new CD a lot, I won't be selling my old vinyl.

Also, if you're wondering what the SADiE Disk Editing System is, which is
being used on the reissues, here's a little blurb from a 1992 King Crimson
box set I picked up recently, called "The Great Deceiver", a 4 CD
collection of live tracks from 1973 and 1974.  It kicks butt.

"SADiE Disk Editing System, designed and manufactured in the UK by Studio
Audio and Video Ltd., Cambridge, England, is a PC based disk editing
package with a graphical user interface running under Windows 3.1.  There
is a stereo audio capacity of 1 hour 40 minutes at 44.1 kHz sampling rate.
Conversion between analogue and digital uses 64 times oversampling
delta-sigma devices with resolution of 16 and 18 bits in the ADC and DACs
respectively, with stereo input and two stereo digital outputs.  Facilities
will be developed and extended shortly in editing and track capacity.  We
review what is current and are happy that SADiE is available in time for
this project."

Joe