Re: A Quick One review, or, did you listen to grap for 30 Yrs?

Let me sum up:

maiullo@tms.attmail.com (Gary Maiullo) wrote on Fri, 23 Jun 1995:

>   All I know is that I am having a blast with the re-issue series --
> I have European versions of AQO & Sell Out (cd's), and comparing
> the mixes is pretty cool (not to mention the MAGIC BUS cd, which
> means 3 diff mixes of Run Run Run, etc).... could waste a lot of
> time studying this stuff (and of course I will!!!).

You find me in deep confusion now, because my whole auld "A Quick One"
vinyl is in finest STEREO, all tracks.
Hey, you say the reissue is mono in parts? This can't be true, please!

Jay mentioned the "old vinyl mono sound", but isn't it true that at
the same time when the mono vinyl came out they put out a true stereo
version of it, too?

OK, to get me right, *nothing* against the mono version of AQO;
what makes me horror is a so called "stereo" version with mono tracks,
which on top of that are not right in the middle between l & r.
And that's exactly what I found on the MCA vinyls of AQO, and I fear
it took its way on the reissue (that's what I read out of the reviews
above, still hoping it's NOT true).

I grabbed out my MCA AQO/SO "deluxe set" (there they stuffed both
vinyls in one sleeve, what a luxury) and compared it with my
Polydor AQO (in lack of the Decca / Reaction releases :( ):

track                           mca                 polydor
run run run                     s                   s
boris the spider                s                   s
i need you                      s                   s
whiskey man                 m, left predominant     s
heatwave                    m, left pred.           s
cobwebs and strange             s                   s
don't look away             m, left pred.           s
see my way                      s(?)                s(?)
so sad about us                 s                   s
a quick one while he's away     s                   s
happy jack                  m, left pred.           -

Perhaps I compared cats with dogs, but ... isn't it interesting?

Chris
(waiting for the UK/European re-releases, in full stereo, of
course...)

"Break out and start a fire, y'all, it's all here on the vinyl!!"