reissh

I want to add a few remarks... I also hear the defects described by other
posters; the one that really upsets me is the skip-type sound in the 1st
Mary Anne - my heart sank when I heard it.  It's a funny thing: it sounds
like a skip, but no music seems to be lost.  Anyway, much as I love MCA
for these WHO reissues, and for the Steely Dan ones (which also have
defects in 'em!), you gotta wonder about things like these sonic
deficiencies & the omission of Happy Jack; I know we're gonna read in
ICE or someplace that the source tapes were old, etc., and that H.J. will
appear on yet another hits anthology - but such things are maddening.
We fans (=consumers!) seem to be nearly unanimous about what we'd like to
see in the reissues, so I wonder why these guyz, who are clearly dedicated
enough to give us some painstakingly done new discs, haven't had similar
ideas to begin with.  That said, I think the new Quick One is
heart-stoppingly clear, almost a brand new mix (and a great one), and
that the new Sell Out is the most outstanding reissue of its kind: who
ever thought we'd hear two Who Sell Outs in our lifetimes?  For me it's
like having a favorite album doubled!  I love it, warts & all.
Now the question is: as for the sonic problems, do we complain, return
them en masse, & hope we've got early pressings with correctible defects, or
are we gonna have to live with those *new* crackles and pops?  Hope I haven't
 gone on too, long- I usually just lurk!