The Who: LAL/Astley in Pro Sound News

Pro Sound News, whose latest issue arrived yesterday has an article with
astley discussing the hows and all concerning the release of our beloved
and tinkered with Live At Leeds. After reading the article, it sounds like
some toying around with the stereo image may have taken place. Possibly by
accident, since astley points out that it was impossible to change the
imaging that pete used originally without fucking up the "feeling" of the
music. However, since they were transferring the original Pye Mobile 8
tracks to Mitsubishi digital, and then into the Sadie Hard Disk System, and
the Cedar declicker.... Some things most certainly may have "Moved" when
flown back to the digital multi. It is nearly impossible not to fuck
something up along the way when you transfer audio around this way. I have
screwed things up myself. I admit it. Also, people cant help themselves
when it comes to this sort of remixing and remastering. Muting, moving
fader automation, it all contributes to changes. sometimes bad, sometimes
really bad. A lot of engineers over clean. Astley mentions that the vocal
track was ran thru a DBX noise reduction unit on the way back to the
Digital multi in order to reduce noise on the vocal track. I am going to
fix my turntable, and start listening to my LP again. I never had any
problem with that lp and I want to see if some of the Echo positioning and
other new anomolies from the CD are just that, by products of the anal
digital age of music production.

scott.

Scott James
SoundWave, The Music Industry Web Site