Re: Shel Talmy v. The Who -- Any More Info?

> <<Finally about Shel Talmy. I have heard that both sides (ie The Who and
> Shel Talmy) have been gathering info on when songs were recorded and which
> countries songs were released. A very good and reliable source recently told
> me that it was for a legal battle, but did not know any more details. I know
> Richard Barnes has been doing a lot of info collecting for The Who side, so I
> found it amusing in alt.music.who that Shel Talmy was asking Who fans to give
> him info that could very well be turned against The Who.>>
>
> Does this mean that negotiations have completely broken down?  Has anybody
> contacted Talmy about this?  Any could someone please explain to me how Talmy
> owns the original master tapes while the Who presumably owns the music (since
> they were able to inclue Shel Talmy produced material on the box set, albeit
> from inferior tapes)?

I posted publically in alt.music.who asking Talmy what was going on.
He gave me a rather lengthy reply in email.  It probably wouldn't be
good netiquette to post it here, so I'll summarize.  He said that he has
nothing personally against The Who, that he is actually on speaking terms
with Pete, that he misses Keith a lot (he says they were friends), and that
he is CURRENTLY in a lawsuit with Polydor over royalties in Europe.
He was actually dealing with MCA (Who's U.S. record company) and was close
to a deal to do the remixing for the box set, but he says Polydor put
a stop to it because of the lawsuit.  He said nothing about whether
he is going to sue The Who, but the more I think about it, why would
he sue The Who?  Are they supposed to pay royalties or are record companies?

-David Schenfeld
davids@shell.portal.com

,
e was willing to do the remixes, and even tried to deal with