The Who via The Moody Blues & LSO

> On Tue, 24 Jan 1995 STU_JCTENNAN@VAX1.ACS.JMU.EDU wrote:
>
> > This is kind of a neat idea that popped into my head.  I would like to
> > hear The Moody Blues with their friends The London Symphony Orchestra
> > cover something off of either Tommy or Quadrophenia.

Let me preface these remarks by stating unequivocally that musical taste
is a personal, subjective thing, so absolutely no personal flame is
intended in the following.

That having been said, the idea of putting *anything* by the Who in the hands
of the Moody Blues and/or the LSO positively revolts me!  It seems to me
that Pete has always produced his best art (whether songwriting or
performance) when he has approached the matter as a pugnacious, big-nosed
punk with a chip on his shoulder.  Conversely, his worst excesses--and
let's admit it, fellow Who fans, there've been plenty--have come about
precisely when he has allowed his true, street-wise genius to be
subjugated to an overweening desire to produce "high" art.  If this
applies to the work of the Who itself, it's gotta go double for others
attempting to interpret the Who.

At its best, the Who was unparalleled in its ability to resolve the
central paradox of rock and roll: that, on the one hand, it's a vibrant,
powerful force worthy of the consuming passion it provokes, and on the
other, "it's only rock and roll, but we like it"--a silly, essentially
adolescent obsession.  It's this tension that makes the whole medium
interesting, IMHO.  But neither the Moodies nor the LSO could possibly
maintain this tension.  Not since "Go Now" back in--what? 1965?--have
the Moodies believed that "it's only rock and roll," choosing instead to
erect these huge edifices of artistic conceit that I, at any rate, have
found impossible to take seriously.  The LSO, on the other hand,
doubtless believes precisely that "it's only rock and roll" until they
can wrap it in their cloak of respectability, at which point it
magically becomes art.

Give me a half-competent teenage band bashing out a shitty, enthusiastic
version of "I Can't Explain" in a smoky bar they lied about their ages to
get into, and I'll call that the truest interpretation of the Who's artistry.

Once again, all apologies to the multitudes I have doubtless offended.
Anyone agree with me?

					Same as the old boss,
					Craig O'Neill