Use of Songs in Advertising

     While on the subject of advertising, I wondered if anyone had the
answer to the following question.  Does a company that uses an artist's song
in their ad as background music have to compensate the author?
     Here in southern California, GTE Mobilenet was using The Who's "Going
Mobile" to hawk cellular telephones.  I tried writing Pete through Atlantic
Records to let him know about it and allow him the opportunity to collect
royalties if that was standard and/or if he wanted to pursue it.  I never
heard anything back after two attempts.  I figured that either the letters
never got to Pete or that he didn't give a shit.
                                                   Tim
Tim Herrlinger                   Email herrling@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu
Marine Science Institute                  Office Phone (805) 893-8858
University of California, Santa Barbara            FAX (805) 893-8062
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6150                Home Phone (805) 922-4239