Re: Shea Stadium and misc stuff...

On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Ian M. Derby wrote:

> The Who also played at Rich Stadium in Buffalo and Exhibition stadium
> in Toronto.  As for '89 did the Who play JFK or the VET?  I seem to
> remember the Stones had to play at the VET on the Steel Wheels tour
> later that year because the city condemned the stadium as unsafe.  I
> never saw a concert at JFK, was it a great place to watch?  Now it's
> going to be CoreStates Spectrum II, but I'd rather see "Eagles
> Stadium".

I don't know what you mean by most of this, not knowing what JFK or
VET means.  The '89 NY shows were at The Meadowlands in East
Rutherford (June 29 & 30, July 2 & 3).  They played at Veterans
Stadium in Philadelphia July 9 & 10.

> BTW I just received Tales From The Who (thanks Jeff!) and am floored
> over how solid Moon is.  Can anyone tell me if those '73 concerts
> were after the "Cow Palace" incident?

Yes, they were.  Cow Palace was 11/20/73, Tales from The Who is Dec.
'73.

>  I wonder if he sobered up
> for a brief period after his scare.

Well, the Tom Wright photo collection has a photo of him backstage in
Dallas on 11/25/73 (5 days post-Cow Palace) after the show, grinning
happily, holding a French horn (presumably nicked from John's gear)
wearing Levi's with one whole leg missing, so I would say probably
not.

Alan

There is on earth...no more dangerous thing than a richly endowed and
adroit reason...for reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed.
           -- Martin Luther (what a guy!)